Kalia is a spicy fish curry loved for its superb taste. Large and mature Carp or Hilsa fish should be selected for this preparation as the fat and oil from such fishes add to the taste. We have used grass carp, a fish common in eastern regions of India and Bengal as also in many other parts of the world.
Recipe: Serves 3-4 people Preparation time : about 10 minutes Cooking time: about 30 minutes.
Principle: In step one, the fish will be marinated and shallow fried in oil Next, the spices will be sautéed with onion and yogurt to create the gravy And finally, the fish will be added to the gravy and cooked to completion
Procedure: 1. Sprinkle turmeric and salt on the fish pieces and marinate them uniformly all over 2. Leave aside the marinade for about 5-10 minutes
3. In a moderately hot pan, add 3 tablespoons of oil 4. When the oil is hot to touch, add the fish and fry on all sides for about 3-4 minutes. 5. You may want to cover the pan if it splatters. 6. All sides should look well fried 7. Remove the fish from the frying pan and keep aside
8. Heat about 2-3 table spoons of fresh oil or use the left over oil from frying the fish 9. Add the Indian bay leaves 10. the dry red chili 11. the cumin seed 12. the clove 13. the cardamom 14. the cinnamon 15. and stir them well 16. Then add the chopped onion 17. Continue stirring for several minutes till the onions become golden brown in color
18. Add the garlic ginger paste 19. Then add red chili powder 20. the cumin powder 21. And the turmeric powder 22. Stir them for a minute or so 23. and then add a table spoon of yogurt 24. stir continuously to mix them uniformly 25. the yogurt should be added one table spoon at a time over a several additions 26. and they need to be stirred constantly otherwise the spice mixture may get burned 27. Add salt 28. Stir them together till the mixture becomes semi dried and well cooked
29. Then add two and a half cups of water 30. Stir well to make a uniform gravy 31. add two spoons of sugar 32. mix again
33. and as the gravy comes to a boil 34. Add the fried fish into the gravy 35. be careful so the fish pieces do not break apart 36. Cover the pan and let it cook for 2 minutes or so 37. As the gravy thickens remove it from the heat. 38. This completes the fish kalia preparation
39. It takes about 40 to 45 minutes to cook and serves 2 to 3 people 40. Serve the fish kalia hot with steamed white rice