Curry with hilsa fish is a much admired delicacy among fish lovers in India and particularly among the Bengali people all over the world. Beside its taste, scientific studies have confirmed the beneficial heart healthy effect of fish oil (omega 3 fatty acid) in reducing bad cholesterol level. In this age of obesity and over weight problem, eating fish instead of red meat is an obvious alternative choice.
Recipe: The recipe makes enough curry for about 3 - 4 people. Cooking time is about 30 - 35 minutes. Click on the ingredient names to get more information.
1. Scaled, cleaned and sliced Hilsa fish 8-10 Pieces
Principle: The preparation consists of 3 steps. In step one, the mustard seed will be ground with spices to create the sauce. In the second step this sauce will be used to marinate the fish. And finally, the marinated fish will be cooked.
Procedure: 1. Put the whole black mustard seed in a grinder 2. Add 2 green chilies 3. Add salt 4. Grind the dry mixture first 5. Add 1/3 cup of water 6. Grind again 7. If it is too dry, you may have to add some more water to create a thick paste or the consistency you want. 8. Transfer the mustard paste into a bowl 9. Add 4 tablespoons of yogurt 10. Mix with a spoon or ladle 11. Add the turmeric 12. Mix well together 13. Add 2 tablespoons of mustard oil 14. Again mix well to create a uniform marinating sauce
15. Pour the sauce onto the fish 16. And then marinate the fish pieces well either with a ladle or with hand
17. Add a teaspoonful of oil to a medium hot pan. The purpose of this oil is to ensure that the fish pieces do not stick to the hot pan. 18. Add the marinated fish pieces to the pan
19. Pour and spread the remaining sauce on the fish
20. Wash the leftover sauce with a small amount of water and add that to the pan 21. Spread 4 green chilies on top
22. Cover the pan and let it cook
23. Occasionally loosen the fish pieces so they do not stick to the bottom 24. After about 8 - 10 minutes of cooking, turn them over 25. Then stick a fork into the fish to see if the fork passes through them easily. This indicates the cooking is done.
26. Turn off the heat and cover the pan. 27. The remaining heat will complete the cooking
28. It takes about 30 - 35 minutes and serves 3 to 4 people 29. Serve the fish with steamed Basmati or Jasmin rice